Poughill's Historic and Listed Buildings   

 

 

 

  Poughill is proud to have 17 listed buildings and structures in our small village, including our oldest treasure, the grade I church of St. Olaf and over the road, the grade II 'Church House', both of which are covered in detail in their own section.

Where Poughill buildings themselves have significant histories or any form of more notable attachment, a separate section is also dedicated to them which can be located by Clicking through.

 

 

Our Oldest Building is St. Olaf's 14C Church listed Grade 1. <Click>  
Church House, Grade II-across the road from the Church was built in the early part of 1500 as a 'Guild house' and now is 2 private dwellings
 
 

 

 
'Pudners'  Grade II- Built at the turn of 1600 by one of Poughill's wealthy landowners. <Click>  
<Click> Pudners Cottage. GII. dates from 1609 and is easily the most photographed and popular cottage for artists in the village.
 
 
 
^St.Olaf's Cottage, built next to 'Pudners' housed servants. Gr II <Click>  
^Easterly Cottage, Burshill Cottage and Mandalay are grade II late 17th century cottages built to house servants for Burshill Manor.<Click>
 
 
 

^Broomhill Manor, built on the site of one of the original manor houses

from Poughills earliest times. Now a holiday complex. <Click>

 
^Burshill Manor, our medieval open hall manor house <Click>
 
 
 
Kimberley House, over the road from the old post office 19 century  

The old Post Office and General Stores was an important focal point in the village for over a century

 
 
 
^The National School Poughill. Built in 1867 to house 40 pupils    
 
 
 
^Built in the 1700's the Villa became St. Olaf's orphanage and was home to; " ten destitute and friendless girls, supported by voluntary contributions."  
^Escalonia Cottage Mid 19 Century next to the Church yard
 
 
 
^The Preson Gate Inn today.  <Click>  
^Rose Cottage, Poughills first Pub
 
 
Bay Tree Farm. Late 18th century

Rear Bay Tree farm, on church Street. Its land over the  Northcott Mouth Road contained its barns which have now been converted to houses.

 
 
^The new Vicarage built in 1801 <Click>

^On the right the rear of St Nectans Coach House and Stables, now called the Lodge where Sailor Sam & Tiny Ann livved, diagonally opposite the Preston Gate Inn. On he left the now demolished Preston Villa which was Sam Collin's house. The other thatched cottage on the right has also been demolished and is where  St. Nectan’s was built in the late 19C.

 

 

 
^St. Nectans, a villa build in the late 1800's.

^Rear of St Nectans Coach House and Stables now called the Lodge today

 
 
^Moor Cottages early 19 century adjacent to the old post office below the church.  

^Dated archway opposite Old Post Office in Poughill
The inscription over the arch reads "ER 9th August 1902", which was the Coronation of King Edward 7th. It once housed a pump for water for residents without wells. See > People

 
 
^The Old Blacksmiths shop and forge. Poughills former blacksmiths shop was run by Samuel Wackley in 1873 and is below Broom Hill Lane and now converted to domestic use.

Marland House a 10 roomed dwelling built at the turn of the 20th century.  The census tell us that it was the home of William Edward Wakely (Builder & Carpenter & Joiner, aged 59) & Barbara Wakely (53).

Who had 5 children, 1 having died. Argent Clissold Wakely – Mildred Clissold Wakely (aged 20). Also listed on this Census -a Boarder –Percy Bynz Morris (Private Means, aged 40) & a Servant – Lilly Sly (General Domestic Servant

Trelana built late in 190'sbecame the seat of Col. William Henry Field J.P. Now extensively extended it is a private care home

 
   

Detail from the Thorn Photo

.

 

Paize farm Poughill 1880

 

 

 

Reeds: Occupied by inventor Sir Goldsworthy Gurney for 12 years where he retired with his daugter after suffering a stroke

It was built at the turn of 1800's by John Vickry Jose, son of the vicar of Poughill, a wealthy coal merchant and lime dealer who eventually went bankrupt in 1836.

 

An aerial image is the best I can do for the moment

^Poughills K6 telephone box is Grade 2 listed. It was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and is known as the "Jubilee" kiosk, to commemorate the silver jubilee of King Georg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

e V.

 

 

Other Listed Buildings and Monuments in Poughill include:

 Harris chest tomb about- 5 metres south east of porch of Church of St Olaf GV II
Chest tomb. Late C18, commemorating Abraham Harris of Hill (q.v.) dies 1769 and
Burden-Abraham Harris, died 1787. Large rectangular brick chest with freestone
lid. Verse inscribed on lid.

 

 Mercer chest tomb about 1 - metre south of west tower of Church of St Olaf
GV II
Chest tomb. Early C18, commemorating Saul Cornish Mercer, died 1738. Brick chest
with chamfered brick plinth and inscribed slate lid.


  Mercer chest tomb about 1 - metre south of west tower of Church of St Olaf
GV II
Chest tomb. Early C18, commemorating Saul Cornish Mercer, died 1738. Brick chest
with chamfered brick plinth and inscribed slate lid.

 Chest tomb about 2 metres north - east of Church of St Olaf GV II


  Chest tomb. Circa early C18. Pinkish freestone ashlar with Beerstone or
Caenstone lid. Rectangular chest built into slope of churchyard and raised on
north side. Chest has moulded plinth and cornice supporting moulded stone lid.
Inscription illegible. Unusual combination of stones.


  Pair of chest tombs about - 7 metres south-east of porch of St Olaf GV II


  Pair of chest tombs. Circa late C17/early C18, early mid and late C18 slate
memorials fixed to sides of tombs probably post-date chests. commemorating
members of the Stanbury family.


  Dayman chest tombs about 3 metres - south of the chancel of the church of St Olaf
GV II


  2 chest tombs commemorating members of the Dayman family. Late C18. Freestone
ashlar with inscribed slate lids. Southernmost tomb commemorates John Dayman,
died 1786 and other members of the Dayman family; northernmost commemorates
Barbara Dayman, died 1753.

 

   

Other unlisted but historic buildings:-
Eighteenth century (or earlier) – RoseCottage, Bay Tree Farm, The Villa, Woodbine cottage
Early nineteenth century–
The converted barn behind Bay Tree Farm,
Marland House,
Innsbruck,
Fisherton Cottage,
The Old Blacksmiths,
The Barn,
The Post Office,
Moor Cottages, Myrtle Cottage, 1-3 Church Street, Preston Gate Inn
Mid to late nineteenth century –Trelana, Reeds Cottage and barn, Escallonia Cottage, The Vicarage, St Nectans and the former stables.
Early twentieth century– Reeds, Rowans, Meadows, Clifton Cottage, Kimberley House, Combe Rise, Lydcroft, Midsummer Cottage, Trelawne, Sarona and Ferndale.

 

Next Page - Images of People from the Past - ( Full Menu Below )

 

 

 


MENU : Go to Other Poughill Pages    
     
Early History of Poughill
Pictures of People from Poughills Past
Poughills Pubs and Inns
Poughill and the Battle of Stratton
Picturesque Pudners
Nostalgic Photographs    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Keys

Poughill, Cornwall, Poughill Cornwall, Poughill Bude, Poughill, Cornwall, Poughill Cornwall, Poughill Bude, buildings, listed, historical, thatched, slate, cottage, Village school, Buildings, Church, St Olaf, Pudners, Church House, Pudners Cottage,
Burshill Manor, Methodist Church, Village Hall, St Olaf’s Cottage, Burshill Cottage, Mandalay, Easterly Cottage, RoseCottage, Bay Tree Farm, The Villa,Woodbine, Marland House, Innsbruck, Fisherton Cottage, Old Blacksmiths, Barn, Post Office, Moor Cottages, Myrtle Cottage, Church Street, Preston Gate Inn, Trelana, Reeds Cottageand barn, Escallonia Cottage, The Vicarage, St Nectans, Reeds, Rowans, Meadows, Clifton Cottage, Kimberley House, Combe Rise, Lydcroft, Midsummer Cottage, Trelawne, Sarona and Ferndale

Poughill - Cornwall - Historical and Listed Buildings. Images, descriptions.

Poughill - Cornwall - Pochelle |

Poughills oldest historic & listed buildings | Cottages , farms and historical homes | Images, facts and descriptions

Poughill's Historical and Listed Buildings | Cob Thatch Slate & Stone | History of the Village